G4 Boot of of SATA Drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Retrosonic, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Retrosonic macrumors regular

The original HD in my Rebuilt G4 is starting to make "clicking" noises, so I think its starting to go.

I have a SATA card and two 500 gig drives installed in the machine and I'd like to simply clone the original drive to one of the SATA drives, disco the original drive and boot off the SATA drive.

I'm reading that this cannot be done, that the G4 MUST boot off of the internal drive. I'm running OSX 10.

Is there a way to make the G4 boot off the SATA drive?

any help is appreciated!!

Retro

2. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

what SATA card, and which version of 10 (10.?)

have used several SATA cards (sonnet, acard, etc) in several machines (sawtooth, quicksilver 01/02) and have had no problems booting from the SATA drives.

more details will help!

3. Retrosonic thread starter macrumors regular

More info

UPDATE:

Did some under the hood troubleshooting.

It wasnt the hard drive!! I disco'd all the drives and the click was still there, so Its either the power supply or a relay or switch on the board. But the machine is running 100% ok and I'm very glad the OS drive is not a problem.

I also noticed that the click is very consistent, like 3 clicks and then the video appears. So I dont think its anything really wrong.

4. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Keep us posted on your attempts. I have a Quicksilver that I would like to install and boot from sata drives.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

They do make Mac compatible PCI SATA cards but not all of them are bootable. Buy a card from a well known manufacturer and make sure it states that it is a bootable PCI card.