G4 compatible with leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sutherlacd27, Mar 23, 2009.

1. sutherlacd27 macrumors newbie

can i just assume my G4 can handle leopard or do i need to look into it some more?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. sutherlacd27 thread starter macrumors newbie

im not by the computer right now but if you tell me the options im positive ill remember what i read. sorry to be a pain

4. squamtch macrumors newbie

I have a G4 iBook that came with Tiger. I recently bought Leopard under the impression that my G4 met the requirements. Technically, it does but I wasn't able to install Leopard (even with a RAM upgrade). The geniuses at the genius bar at the local apple store all admitted to me that Leopard, even if I could get it to install, would never run well on my G4. And, word to the wise, ever since the installation of Leopard failed, my G4 hasn't worked. In fact, the hard drive is now kaput & I can't help suspecting the failed Leopard installation as playing some role in that (never had ANY problems WHATSOEVER w/ my G4 before that). So, though I'm no expert, from my experience, I would say no, don't do it.

5. sutherlacd27 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i should go with tiger then. anybody know if this will work out fine? ive read a couple tihngs saying leopard isnt a good idea. havent found much on tiger. basically im about to the point of just reformatting my hard drive on my pc and going back to it. i just want my iphone and external hard drive and burner to work properly. which isnt happening right now

6. squamtch macrumors newbie

I hope someone more knowledgeable on here will answer your question but from what I understand it depends on your processor speed. My iBook g4 was an early 2006 model & the processors apple used then aren't fast enough to run leopard well. Maybe your G4 is a more recent model with better processing speed? In either case, if you can, make an appt with a "genius" at an apple store near you (it's free). My experiences with them have all been good but sometimes the truth behind the problem is, well, not so good.:(

7. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Click the Apple Logo, click About This Mac, and if it says its above 867 MHz and above 512 MB of ram, it is fully supported by Apple.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I run Leopard just fine on an iBook G4 with 1.33 ghz processor and 512mb ram.

9. sutherlacd27 thread starter macrumors newbie

its the tower not the ibook. so its the 450 mhz g4 processor right? i dont think that can handle leopard. what exactly can it handle?

10. txnoob macrumors 6502

The G4 towers (PowerMacs)went from I believe 400mhz all the way to dual 1.25GHZ So you can't just assume that. You'll need to be at the computer and do as Dustman suggested.