g4 cube as apple tv

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iSaygoodbye, Apr 27, 2009.

1. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

Is there any mod for the cube that would allow it to output component video?Also if i upgrade the video card would it be able to power a 20 inch or so tv?Id also like to install a infrared reciever so i could use a apple remote.Is any of this possible?thanks

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

3. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I attempted to use a g4 cube a computer in the living room, and I had trouble playing high bitrate SD content on the stock 450 MHz processor. If you get it to work or some up with some other solutions please let em know.

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I was going to say this, but I don't have any actual experience with video playback on a cube. Your experience now confirms my suspicion.

To the OP, you'd probably be better off just using the cube as a media server to stream content to an Apple TV. For that use I think it would work great.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

6. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

i already have a apple tv.i just found a cube for 100$ and was wandering if i could use it as my :apple:tv and give my apple tv to my brother

7. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

ya, i think you'll have a hard time with some SD content. it's very limiting

my old g4 powerbook is still chugging along but it stutters on some video files

8. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

Yeah I got a cube in a similar manner, and really wanted to find a use for it. I tried using at as a media server with itunes running all the time. This worked very well but the complications of interacting with the same library in regards to playlists and syncing ipods and iphones made me just continue using my main computer as a media server. I am still looking for a good use for my cube.

9. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

but is there any way to make it put out component or composite video?

10. Wardotron macrumors member

World of pain. I had a 1ghz eMac G4 that chugged with anything other than SD MP4. Personally I wouldn't invest the time and effort.

11. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

thats all im going to be playing,sd mp4 content

12. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

Then its going to be an issue of your video out options. Your only real options are to use VGA or get a ADC to DVi to HDMI for connecting to a TV. I am trying to use my cube as a leopard server for media, but for actually playing content, it may just be too slow of a machine.