G4 cube. no display

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by IDMah, Aug 28, 2013.

1. IDMah macrumors 6502

IDMah

Hi All.

We love our cube but Can't seem to be able to see the display. Plugged into a monitor and no signal.

We can see it's working via SSH and it's on network, but no display
    Tried VNC but that too doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas??

thanks
    Ian

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What video card does it have in it? What connection is the screen? If you try to change the volume with the keyboard keys, does it make the chip/beep noise as it changes? Does the screen show any sign of life during bootup? Are you able to test another screen with the Cube or another computer with that screen?

3. IDMah thread starter macrumors 6502

IDMah

No Beeps or flickers just black. Does Vine Server or Screen share require a video card? Because everything else seems to work when I run it from

SSH but command line ain't the most convenient way to operate a mac.. Haha!

thanks
    Ian

4. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Two ports

Did you change pram battery? Reset Cuda switch inside? Zap pram? Should have two connections on video card, ADC and VGA. No active cooling the graphics card may have burned out, or become unseated, especially if its not original as the metal retainer that holds the video card doesn't fit any card but stock.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Screen Sharing does work without a video card. Cube's run without a working PRAM battery and a faulty one wouldn't cause problems in one.

6. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Yes it can

Check the pram, zap it it can do any number of non boot and kernel panic issues. Also check capacitors on the video card.

7. IDMah thread starter macrumors 6502

IDMah

Almost fixed.

I 'tore' apart the cube cleaned and reseated graphics card and pram reset.
    Now I have a display. But Vine doesn't want to work. And Yes See the cube
    on the network, and cube can access the internet.

Is there a conflict with screen share and vine server? I turned it off SS but port 5900 seems to be taken still. I guess obviously display and vine not working were not connected. Causality of computers.. hahah!!!

thanks for everyones help.
    Ian

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Vine and Screen Sharing don't like each other. If you want VNC, why don't you just use Apple's built-in VNC server in the Apple Remote Desktop part of the Sharing pref pane.

9. MikeatOSX macrumors regular

MikeatOSX

I got this problem with ezShare and iTeleport on iPhone connecting to a Cube: black screen.

Solution: the Cube was set to millions of colors and I also had to set these two apps to millions of colors. This was the end if the darkness. :)

Maybe it helps.