G4 Cube Not Booting Up

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mBurns, Feb 3, 2014.

1. mBurns macrumors 6502

Hi guys. I have an old Cube that I've owned for years. I didn't turn it on for about 3 years, and I just went to turn it on today (for nostalgia purposes) and it wouldn't start up. Any ideas what I should try to troubleshoot? I really want to get her back up and running! She was running perfectly fine before I stored her.... so definitely no water damage, or anything of the sort.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Take the core out of the Cube and plug in the live power supply. Do you see a LED light up near the VRM/DC-DC board? If you don't, then your power supply isn't working. Try the hair dryer trick with it. Basically warm up the power supply with a hair dryer. This helps fix dead or failing Cube power supplies, until they get cold again.

3. mBurns thread starter macrumors 6502

And she lives. Thanks Intell. She is booting up, but now I am facing the issue that she can no longer connect to my WiFi network. It sees the network, and when I try to connect is says "unable to connect, try again". I've tried repeatedly to no avail, and I have re-seated the AirPort Card. Any ideas? I'm running Tiger, if that helps.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Usually that's down to your router. If your router is running WPA2 or better the Mac won't connect. The original Airport cards can only do WPA or less and that's only starting with 10.3.9.

Also, only TKIP authentication on WPA. AES won't work.

5. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Tiger had a lot of issues with not detecting wifi security correctly, too. I remember being frustrated at spending forever trying to figure out why I couldn't connect, but eventually I realized I was using the wrong WEP security. You usually have to select the correct security yourself. I never had any issues with Leopard and wifi, though.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The hairdryer trick won't work forever. It's good for about 20 warm ups, then it stop working completely. The cause is either a capacitor or some other thing inside the power supply that has to be replaced. The hardest part is opening the power supply as they were not designed to be serviceable.

7. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

Ah, thanks for that. Fixed my issue with G4 imac!