G4 Cube: Slowing Down Classic Games

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
A friend came to me with a problem...and I'm coming here.

Any thoughts on how to reduce the frame rate (i think) when running os 9.1 on an older mac? I have a g4 cube that's become my daughter's computer - it has 10.4 installed, but I'm trying to play an old mack game by restarting in 9.1, but on one part of the game the frame rate is nuts.
There's a 3d animated bit (thinking things 2, used to come with Performa macs) where the thing just zooms way to fast
Me: did you try running the game in 10.4? the classic interface should have taken over..

I have 10.4.1(1?) installed - when I try to boot classic, it seems to freeze early in the process...
I'm googling around for the answer (funny, no one seems to want to slow graphics down these days :p) but I figured I'd throw this out here, too.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You could try removing some of the video acceleration extensions from the extensions folder.

MysticCow

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2013
Did the G4 Cube have different cards? The standard..
There are three "standards." The Cube came with either Ye Olde ATi Rage card, a Radeon card that Mactracker doesn't specify, or a GeForce2MX. There are also a few graphics cards that can fit in the Cube's odd AGP slot.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The third graphics card is the ATI Raedion Mac edition. They weren't very popular compared to the Rage (stock option) and the MX 2.