G4 Cube stuck booting into OS 9

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by ChrisFerri, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ChrisFerri macrumors member

ChrisFerri

Hey again!
    Another issue I'm experiencing with an older Mac I got. This time I got a G4 Cube, and it came with 10.2 installed and working on it. It had some files and programs on it and I was just exploring. I noticed it had OS 9.0.2? I think on it and I told it to boot into that for ***** and giggles to see what was installed on that side. Well now it just stays booting with the Happy Mac icon. Had it sit for a while and nothing. I can't do the X boot trick, it just continues into OS 9. Realized they're on the same partition so that doesn't do anything. And it seems that there is a disk stuck in the drive so I don't have to option to put in an OS X disk I have to just redo it all like I planned. Any suggestions or something I'm missing? Thanks!

2. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Hold down the option key, pick a system folder.

Or use the Startup Disk control panel and pick a system folder.

[​IMG]

3. ChrisFerri thread starter macrumors member

ChrisFerri

Thanks for the reply. And in that image is all I get when I hold down option. And since I can't actually boot into the OS I don't think I can get too the Startup Disk control panel.

Attached Files:

4. ChrisFerri, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

ChrisFerri thread starter macrumors member

ChrisFerri

Update, I was able to get the stuck CD out and put in a Mac OS X 10.0 install CD I had, got it all formated and its reinstalling the OS now.

5. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Startup Disk control panel from MacOS 9.0.x isn't smart enough to bless the OSX System folder.

You need Startup Disk control panel v 9.2 or later

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1111

IIRC, If you updated that 9.0.x to 9.1 it should install v 9.2