Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenebular

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
The hard disk died on my Cube and I have been unable to reinstall OS X. It will not see any Tiger install disk I have burned, CD or DVD.

I have tried multiple hard drives, multiple optical drives (all full size tray loaders), multiple cables, all with no luck.

I even tried installing from my powerbook g4 with the cube started in target disk mode, but it won't boot from the cube.

Trying to manually boot the hard drive or the install disk rom open firmware gives me the attached error of claim failed

Attachments

• 20210914_182553.jpg
    20210914_182553.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

PowerHarryG4

macrumors regular
May 31, 2020
London, England
Do you have any official apple boot discs that would work? Just to rule out that it's not a mistake with the burnt discs.

I had a weird instance a few months ago where the only os that would boot on my cube was Mac OS 9.2.2 .When I tried to boot to any Mac os X disc the cube would just turn off. The only thing that fixed it for me was going through around 5 different hard drives. I think all the ones I was trying before were just on their last life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.