G4 Cube

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by oldhifi, Feb 28, 2014.

1. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

A guy on CL was selling a G4 Cube with all accessories & monitor for $100. I did not really know what I would do with it, so I let it pass, but I see they sell on Amazon for $450+. Guess I missed it..

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They sell for about $75-$150 on eBay. Amazon's prices for this type of thing are generally overinflated.

3. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Very true. For instance, an iBook G4 is $150-$300, where on eBay it trends at $50-$75, mostly.

4. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

You should also keep in mind that Amazon gives you a 30-day refund on all purchases; and that items on Amazon are usually sold as collector pieces, or as systems known to be complete working, and free of defects.

The Cube is one of those systems that I have often wanted, but never purchased. I think it is a nice-looking device, but like you, I wouldn't have much of a use for it.

5. Mikeske macrumors newbie

I have 2 Cube's, I collect what is interesting to me and the first Cube I got for $75.00 less the speakers off of Craigslist. I got a set of Soundsticks and I then got the restore discs from Ebay and reinstalled all the software back to original.

The 2nd Cube I got off eBay for $70.00 and it is my experimental Cube. I try things on it first to see what effect it will have on the computer. When I got the 2nd Cube I had to replace the hard drive had failed.

The Cube can be got for little money and it is mainly something that interesting and kind of limited in what it can handle today. After all this computer was sold 14 years ago and discontinued 13 years ago. I have thought of finding a Intel Mac Mini for cheap and then I will make it into a Mac Mini Cube.

6. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Cube is nice looking device but I have always wondered what people do with them if they have stock processor, was it 400 or 450mhz? In file server etc. use I would think there better options which consume less power, Mac mini and iBook / Powerbook are also pretty affordable these days if both small size and Mac OS X are absolute requirements.

For decoration and/or nostalgy no reason is of course not needed :)