G4 Digital audio wont boot OS 9 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gone To Lunch, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Gone To Lunch macrumors newbie

NB Before proceeding, note that I am sticking with OS 9 for legacy/compatibility reasons with an important musical collaborator. So going to OS 10 completely is not currently an option.

I have been using a G4 AGP Graphics, OS 9.1, CPU 400MHz Bus 100MHz, with two Seagate Barracuda 7200 drives, with Digital Performer 2.7 on it (that legacy app). I acquired a G4 Digital Audio, with OS 10.3, CUP 733MHz, Bus 133MHz, with an IBM deskstar 7200 in it. So I thought I would simply swap the drive bays, but the G4 Digital audio wont boot properly. I get the opening chord, and then the flashing alternating OS 9 logo and question mark ?

I wonder, does it somehow need to start from scratch, with a different OS ? By way of experiment, I put one of the OS 9 drives in the upper bay of the 10.3 drive, and it was recognised and readable under OS 10. So I changed the default start up options to the OS 9 drive, and rebooted, but I got the same flashing question mark for a few seconds, then it went back to OS 10 by itself ?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I know what you describe should work fine on Mac OS X, but Mac OS 9 may behave differently. I'd suggest a fresh install, if you haven't already tried that.

3. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

Digital Audio G4s require a custom (later) build of OS 9.1.
    If your software can run in OS 9.2, you could swap the drive back to your older G4 to do the OS update, then put it back in the DA and it should work.