G4 Dual 450 Dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lasaint, Jan 24, 2008.

1. lasaint macrumors newbie

My trusty 'ol G4 Dual 450 just died out on me -- it does not power on. I replaced the PRAM battery (went to Radio Shack) and reset hardware PMU. I even tried switching out power cable. No luck. Is it my power supply? Does anybody know where I can pick one up for reasonable price? Can I use a pc power supply?

Please help.

Thanks!

2. three macrumors 6502a

three

Did you replace anything else? Try the RAM, you might of bumped that on accident.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

You might also try the total power down trick--unplug it from the wall, remove the battery, push the power button to fully discharge everything, then let it sit for a while (as in a few hours). Put it all back together and try again--this has resurrected several apparently dead Macs for me.

As for power supplies, PC ones can be hacked (changing the wiring around a bit) to work in those, I believe--a quick Google search should turn up how-tos. If you're not comfortable with clipping and moving around a few wires, though, you'll need to find a used one, and that's not too easy.

Maybe somebody even sells pre-wired ATX-G4 adapters, though I've never seen one.