G4 freezing on install

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SpaceMagic, Feb 6, 2009.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hi All,

Just bought a PowerMac G4 Cube off eBay, in really nice condition. The last owner did a clean install of 10.2 for me, but I want to install Tiger on it. The problem is, every time I go to install it freezes during the first few windows (for example, accepting the EULA or even at the choose a Language stage).

I've run TechTools and a few other things and everything is passing. The memory, the logic board, the hard disk. So I'm just totally confused over what the problem could be! I've even reburnt the CD just in case.

I then went backwards and wiped the drive and tried to install OS 9, but the machine just flashes on a disk with a question mark!? Very bizarre.

Can anyone suggest anything? Wires perhaps moved during transport? Hard disk issues? I'm stumped.

Thanks! SM

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Could be the hard drive is failing?

Did you download the OS? Because that can be the problem. You can always buy a Retail Tiger DVD off ebay for < $50.

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

It shouldn't be doing that. I'm running Tiger on my cube just fine. It could be a ram conflict but I doubt that. Could also maybe be an overheating issue, though that typically results in a kernal panic. YOu might want to check the HDD.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If it is already running 10.2 this should not be a problem. As the Firmware update was required for 10.2 and above.

KB Article
    Firmware 4.1.9 (requires Mac OS 9.1 to install)