G4 Fw800

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stuartm, Nov 28, 2007.

1. stuartm macrumors member

Hi
    I have a 1GHz G4 FW800 and it has a 120gb HD.
    I would like to add a 2nd HD to beef up my memory for music and other media files.
    Can I just get another, compatible, 120gb drive giving a total 240GB, or is there a limit to the total HD size that this device will take without affecting speed/performance? My power supply is 400w as Ive been told that this can effect the max HD you put in.

Thanks

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Yes you can just get another hard drive and throw it in, as long as it uses IDE (ie Ultra ATA-100, ATA-133) since your Powermac is a Mirror Drive Door one you do not have the 128GB limit that pre-2002 Quicksilvers had. Your power supply should not be a problem as hard drives really do not draw a significant amount of energy.

I would suggest that when you install the new hard drive use it as your primary drive. Install OS X on it, your programs and your files. Then use your 120GB for your Swap File and data backup. The reason I suggest this is a modern hard drive will be much faster than your current drive allowing for quicker boot times and program load times. I only suggest using the new hard drive for your data files as well for simplicity. If you want even better performance create a partition on the new HD for OS X and applications then a second partition for backing up your data files. Then use your 120GB for your swap file and for accessing your data.

It would be tough to find a 120GB at a reasonable price, just get a 160GB instead. This 160GB runs about $50, for $60 you can get this 250GB HD or for $85 you can get this 320GB HD.

3. stuartm thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks, this is very helpfull