G4 home server freezing up sporadically

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mr1970, May 4, 2009.

1. mr1970 macrumors member

I have a G4 500 (gigabit ethernet) with a Sonnet SATA card hooked up to 2 x 1TB drives in mirrored RAID holding my iTunes library. The boot disk is a bog standard 120GB IDE thing and there are 2GB of RAM.

For some reason I haven't been able to pinpoint, the machine has started misbehaving - refusing to shut off, occasionally not showing the contents of the RAID drives, hanging up when other users in the house try to access the shared file system and so on. I've run Disk Utility to repair permissions and repair the drive but it didn't pick up anything significant and it's still happening. I had put a flashed Radeon 9800 in there but took that out when this started and it hasn't made any difference either.

So...any suggestions welcome. My vague set of theories includes:

- iTunes 8.1.1 is ropey for some reason (I've reinstalled this but again no change)
    - either the machine or iTunes isn't handling the size of the library - it's 140GB split roughly equally between music and movies
    - there's something going on with the Sonnet card or one of the drives, both of which would be irritating as they're less than 3 months old.

Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a