Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phtosynthesis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
I'm about to purchase one and I keep getting mixed answers. I know there are two slots in this model, but i've been told it holds a maximum of 2GB, 1GB in each, and also that it only holds 1GB, 512MB in each.

Someone that has this model may know the real answer. Keep in mind, this is the 17", not the 20", so it may be different.

Also, are both slots accessible?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I'm about to purchase one and I keep getting mixed answers. I know there are two slots in this model, but i've been told it holds a maximum of 2GB, 1GB in each, and also that it only holds 1GB, 512MB in each.

Someone that has this model may know the real answer.

Also, are both slots accessible?

It can take 2 Gb of RAM. The SODIMM socket on the bottom of the machine is easy to get at. A Powerbook PC2700 SODIMM works nicely here.

The DIMM socket up in the dome of the machine is a different story. It is difficult to get at, and if you don't disassemble and reassemble the machine correctly, you risk b0rking the cooling system and overheating the machine. I recommend the internal socket be left to a technician with the instructions and thermal grease to do it right.

But it does mean you can get to 1.25 Gb RAM with just the one SODIMM in the user accessible socket.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Phtosynthesis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
1.25GB should be enough, so i'll just get a 1GB stick in the SODIMM.

I was just wondering why sites like crucial.com and whatnot only have it listed as a max of 1GB. And that they only sell up to a 512MB stick.

Oh well, you seem to know whats right. Thanks for the info man.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
1.25GB should be enough, so i'll just get a 1GB stick in the SODIMM.

I was just wondering why sites like crucial.com and whatnot only have it listed as a max of 1GB. And that they only sell up to a 512MB stick.

Oh well, you seem to know whats right. Thanks for the info man.

He knows what he is talking about I have 2gb in mine so it is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.