G4 iMac 20" Logic Board connector problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CooperBox, Mar 30, 2017.

1. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Last night I opened up the subject iMac with the intention of cleaning & re-pasting the two heat-sink locations. This machine has always performed well, but the fan has always had the annoying habit of running faster than it should, even within a minute of booting with no apps or other tasks running. A PMU reset had no effect.
    It's had very little use, but I was surprised at the accumulation of dust since I last peered inside. So a good spring-clean is the order of the day, and to do a thorough job I'll remove the HD/OD assembly, clean the fan, and also completely detach the lower logic board assy from the upper dome/screen - and this is where I've run into my first problem. How to remove the black connector boot cover? (Shown below).

iMac20-ConBoot1.jpg

iMac20-ConBoot2.jpg

I imagined I could easily prise-off the black cover and then detach the connector, but the cover appears to be attached to the logic board (double-sided adhesive strip?), and so far I've not used undue force not wishing to damage anything.
    To avoid any confusion, the above photos show the configuration on my 20" iMac. The earlier non-USB2 iMac models have a similar connector but in a different location (see iFixit shot below), and their instructions simply indicate, 'Gently remove the cables marked in red.'

EarlyiMacConnectLocation.jpg

Believe me, being 'gentle' for the removal of the black cover on this particular connector - doesn't appear to work!
    Or am I missing something fundamentally simple?

My intention was to complete the cleaning/re-assembly last night, but due to this anomaly I'm at an impasse, and left everything dismantled and strewn across the kitchen table. So true to form, I'm in the matrimonial doghouse once again............Help!:eek:

2. kge420 macrumors member

kge420

Those connectors are tight and then they're broken. I have always left mine on while working inside paying attention to any stress I may be inducing to the cable/socket. I have removed and replaced the fan, ram, hdd, and thoroughly cleaned the inside of the iMac. I have broken the video socket on the board of my 15" G4 iMac and that's how I ended up with a parts machine. Good news is it forced me to look for another and I found my current 20" in my town for $40.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have to pull off the black cover. It's hard to pull off of there, but it needs to be done.

4. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Thanks for the feedback. I've just tried again and that cover seems to refuse to budge.
    On both my photos at the base of the black cover - the light brown strip, is that an adhesive strip? Should I try and lever up from between that and the logic board, or from the strip and the cover? In other words is that strip part of the logic board, and possible damage occur if attempting to lever from it's underside. Kge420's warning of a broken video socket has made me proceed with extra caution. If finally in doubt, I'll leave the connector intact. But as it's intended to be removable I cannot help but wonder why the connector boot cover was made so difficult to remove.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's an adhesive pad. Removing the black cover in a straight up fashion will not damage the video connector.

6. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502

Eriamjh1138@DAN

This. Just pry gently and carefully. It's a secondary retainer that is not connected to the connector in any way. It's held on by double-sided glue tape.

7. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Thanks to those who offered clarification about the adhesive pad. I decided to leave the connector intact and not remove the motherboard as I had more urgent tasks pending. But this info will be useful for future reference, and also to newbies who may wish to perform the same task.