G4 iMac 700 Mhz... My First PPC!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Arcsylver, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Arcsylver macrumors member

As I sit here typing this on my new to me 15" G4 iMac I am pleasantly surprised by just how well this little machine works. I always wanted one of these imacs back when they were one but could never afford them at the time. Now you can pick one up on ebay complete for around 75 to 100 shipped.

She is the base model 700 Mhz., 40 GB, 128 MB RAM model that has been upgraded to 640 MB of RAM.

I picked up a set of the wonderful Harmon Speakers as well just to "complete" the look along with the 512 MB internal RAM stick to upgrade that later once I get some Arctic Silver or similar thermal compound.

She came with the original OS's installed. This has since been updated to 10.4.11 with iTunes 9.2.1.

Loving my little G4 now, just have one issue to sort out somehow. The keyboard it came with is really yellowed and not sure how to try and clean this. Is it worth giving it a go or should I just look on the evilbay for a whiter version?

2. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Congrats :D !!! I found an iMac g4 17'' 1.25GHz for €180 - a steal for the condition it's in, what comes with it and the price of other iMacs.

3. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

my experience with keyboards tells me there is no way (that i know of) to "Bleach" those things to make them whiter even the keyboard i got with my eMac was slightly yellowed but it works i live with it. :)

4. Arcsylver thread starter macrumors member

yeah I will most likely just deal with it . Just everything else is so pristine nd white except for the keyboard which apparently was left sitting in the sun because while clean the keyboard has yellowed to a sort of yellow/cream color especially when compared to the iMac itself.

5. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i think it could just be the keyboard. Pretty much every mac keyboard i see around that age is either somewhat or completely yellowed. Does your keyboard have the USB ports on the sides or the back?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The yellowing is caused by oxygen binding with the bromine within the plastic. Most plastic of that type has it to act as a fire inhibitor. There are a few things that can turn it white again. The most popular of them being retr0bright.

7. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

theres always the dishwasher :D

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That won't work. The yellow is not a coating on the plastic. The plastic itself has discoloured.

9. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

ok the throw it in the washing machine with some bleach :D

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Bleach won't unbind the oxygen from the bromine.

11. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

parts keyboard and transplant all the nice white keys :D

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Which will still go bad unless kept in a vacuum or inert gas chamber, if they haven't already started to turn yellow.

13. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

true but itd be fun to do!

14. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Congrats to the op, excellent little Mac you grabbed there. Lots of fun to be had with it. Also great to hear you grabbed the matching speakers, there cool and sound good too. : )
    Great to see you already have your upgrade path planned. Max the ram and they are a great little box : )

15. KingKen1986 macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Congratulations on joining the ppc gang. I just joined a shot while ago myself with my G5. Sounds like your going to have some fun on that baby. Glad to hear you upgraded your ram. That will make a world of difference. :D:apple::D

16. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

17. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I use harmon kardon g4 speakers with my powerbook they sound great congrats on the buy

18. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Congrads as well

I once owned a 15 and a 17 G4 iLamp, selling them while needed at the time was not easy. You are correct, aesthetic works of art, and a joy to use! Awesome find man!

19. Arcsylver thread starter macrumors member

I have the RAM to do the upgrade but am missing the proper tools to open the iMac up to replace the stock 128 MB sim with the 512 MB upgrade as of yet. so right now I am using the 640 MB it came with. so far it works pretty good.

My major issue right now is getting a legit copy of iwork '08 for it. I have installed the trial versions from the trial disk I got with my copy of aperture 2 but I dont have any way to purchase or get a proper activation on it.