G4 iMac as second monitor for new iMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Misterfridge, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Misterfridge macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've had a quick search and can't find an answer to this:

I'm going to be getting a new iMac soon, probably the 24" top model. I'd like to hook up a second screen to use a distance away from the main system as I'm a dj and use a digital system which requires either a laptop or in this case a separate screen hooked up to the iMac and a wireless mouse. I may be able to get hold of a cheap G4 iMac (the one with the monitor attached on the swivel bracket) and was wondering if it could be used as the second screen (the software won't actually run on a G4 otherwise that would solve the problem). I basically want to operate the newer iMac through the monitor of the old iMac, is this possible??

The benefit of getting an old iMac rather than a new separate monitor is simply that I'd have a backup system should the newer iMac suffer any problems. (plus it looks nice!)

Thanks in advance, hopefully that all makes sense!

Cheers,

Fridge

2. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

I can't really think of a good way to do it. The "best" is running a VNC server on the new iMac and then a client on the G4.... it's really not a great solution though. Why do you need the iMac so far from the screen ?

3. Misterfridge thread starter macrumors newbie

I've quite a large bedroom with my computer/design desk at one side and DJ decks/music at the other. It's not a big deal to be honest, I'll just get a second monitor with a long connection cable. It would have been nice if there was an easy way to hook up to the old G4 iMac as I could have go it for around the same price as a decent second screen.

Oh, while I'm asking stuff, what's the range on the wireless mighty mouse?

Thanks for the reply anyway!

M