G4 iMac Has Had Weird Fan Sound- Now Won't Turn On

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spandexmonkey, Mar 20, 2009.

1. spandexmonkey macrumors newbie

My G4 iMac has been making a weird fan sound (a flickering sound, as if there were a piece of paper in it or something). Last night I turned it off and the weird fan continued running. I tried to unplug my mac and plug it back in, but the fan just starts right back up. The computer won't start, I've tried holding the start button but nothing happens. I need my computer today to work. HELP!!!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Did you happen to take the machine apart? Maybe the connections have come free.

3. spandexmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I Looked Inside

Now I opened my Mac and there's a light at the center of the gears that is glowing and seems to be near the source of the sound. I thought the sound was a fan, but now I'm not so sure. The light is marked "LED702" and turns on if I plug the Mac in, and again, seems to be near the sound. When I unplug the Mac again, the light stays on for a while. Thought that might help.

4. spandexmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yeah thanks, I did open it up and looked at it. What connections should I examine? It was super dusty so I blew it out a bit, and now the sound will stop sometimes if I plug it in, unplug it, and plug it quickly back in. But while it was finally quiet I pressed the 'On' button and the only thing that happened was that stupid sound starting back up again. Right now I'm looking for candid cameras.

5. spandexmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome

Hey thanks for the incredible help guys. This site rules. I ended up fixing it myself, suckas. Even though the sound is still continuing as it has been for weeks, I'm sure I'll find an expert who knows what the heck. Peace