g4 iMac: media server?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ghett0tech, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ghett0tech macrumors member

so i have been pondering the thought of using a g4 iMac as a media server for my apple tv. my question is would a 1GHz 1GB RAM running 10.5 be sufficient enough to use? this would not by any means be for main use, as i have my high end 11" Air for that.

opinions/suggestions are welcome

2. B-G macrumors regular

When I use my eMac to throw videos at my ATV, I notice CPU usage stays very low. Your system is not very different than mine, so I think all should work fine. After all video decoding is handled by Apple TV. In effect I tend to use my ATV mainly as a sort of hardware extension for my computers, using ClickToPlugin and Airflick to stream HD videos from the net to the tv. That little black box can be a really good companion to a ppc mac.

PS: Maybe you already know that, but if you plan to use ClickToPlugin with Airplay do not upgrade ATV software above 4.3
    See http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/support.xhtml

3. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

1GHz G4 processor and 1GB RAM is plenty for a file server. Should do nicely. My server is a 400MHz G4 with an amount of RAM I cannot recall. I used to have 1.5GB RAM in the server, but took out the the higher MB RAM sticks for use in another machine. I think I have 768MB now.

4. ghett0tech thread starter macrumors member

i actually just picked up a g4 quicksilver and 17" Cinema Display tonight. 180 for both, its an insanely great deal i am most pleased.

i just need to upgrade to 10.5 and i'm set..

specs are
    Dual 1.25 GHz
    1GB RAM
    250GB HDD