Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
This is purely nostalgia. But when I was a kid, Apple released the G4 iMac, and I fell in love. It was the best looking computer I have ever seen. To date, nothing from Apple or anyone else has ever mesmerized me like that machine. They are just gorgeous.

I see them on eBay now and then and I've been seriously tempted. Just something to play with, tinker with. Just curious what red flags to look for. I'm looking exclusively at the 20" 1.25GHz model.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
No red flags that I'm aware of. If you end up getting a 1.25GHz, you should also buy a copy of OS X 10.5 if the computer does not come with that installed. Aside from that, just get one that has the memory maxed if you plan to install 10.5, and that's about it.

Oh, and make sure that it works before buying. ;)

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Picking it up is the best thing to do. I had one shipped, and it was absolutely horribly packed. It survived, but one hit to the side and it could've ripped the screen right off the base. The assumption that the Average Joe doesn't know crap about shipping is not far from true.

When picking up the iMac, check the screen for any blemishes or dead pixels. Check if the arm still holds up the screen well, or if it sags. This can be an issue with the 20" versions due to the weight of the screen, some have it, some don't. Look if there has been any tampering with it. When you open the Mac to upgrade the internal RAM, CD/DVD drive, or hard drive, there's a few spots that need to be repasted with cooling paste. Many people forget to do this and this could result in permanent damage. If you notice it has been upgraded, ask the seller if he remembers repasting those spots, or if he sent it off to a professional to have it upgraded. I think that really should do it. They're fun computers, and I'm very happy with my 1GHz model.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
All good info so far.
You say you'll be looking exclusively at the 20" 1.25GHz model - which is fine, as it's a great looking computer, albeit rather scarce in the marketplace. Until recently it was undoubtedly my favourite of the iMac G4 range (I have a 15", 17" and 20"). Strangely enough I now have a preference for the 17" 1.25 GHz USB2 model, performance is identical to the 20" but to my eye the former appears to have slightly more pleasing proportions. But you'll be delighted by either model.
These iMacs sometimes appear in the marketplace without the Apple Harman Kardon Pro speakers (M6531). When present they certainly enhance the overall appearance of the iMac package, and provide superb sound, so well worth obtaining.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Thank you!

I'll probably consider the 17" model as well. I just love that generation of Apple products.

I'm so spoiled with my 27" Apple Cinema Display (the model before the now-defunct thunderbold display, 1440p), but I would love the 23" clear plastic cinema displays of that generation, if I thought I could get any work done with that low resolution (again, too spoiled). I'd strongly considered it as a second monitor; but the ADB adapters are so horrifically expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.