g4 - intel incompatabilty?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by X district X, Apr 21, 2008.

1. X district X macrumors newbie

ok so i just bought a refurb 15.4 MBP, to my suprise when i went to import some of the movies i made on my 12" g4 powerbook it said there was no default app to open the files, so i chose imovie bt it didnt open them , am i correct in assuming nothing from my powerbook will work on my new MBP even though they are both osx operating systems?

cheers,

d

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, you are not correct. Obviously, your MacBook Pro should be faster than you PowerBook G4. The question is "Faster at what?" The answer is "Faster at running software."

You have given not a hint about which version of MacOS X, which version of iMovie, or even which format is the video you are trying to edit on your PowerBook.

Neither have you given a hint about which PowerBook G4 you bought, the RAM installed on it, or its hard drive capacity and available free hard drive space. The takeaway message is that you cannot expect help if you give no relevant information about your system.

3. X district X thread starter macrumors newbie

ok let me put it simply: i imported dv footage and made an imovie which was stored on my external hard drive every time i wanted to play it from my g4 powerbook i would just select the folder on my external hard drive and imovie would do the rest, now when i select the same folder from my hard drive on my new MBP it doesnt recognise the file, so i was wondering if
    the new intel macs are a different language, i was on 10.4 i think and now i'm on 10.5 if that helps,

cheers

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

movie files should be 100% compatible across the systems...I'm thinking the problem is something else.