Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Hi all, I have a 867MHz G4 PowerBook that does not work. I diagnosed the problem but don't have the original install discs, so i bought the retail version of jaguar but I can't boot from the disc.
Does anybody have any suggestions, THANKS

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
If I were you, I wouldn't waste time trying to get Jaguar (10.2) to work but try to get hold of Panther (10.3), or even better Tiger (10.4).

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
How are you trying to boot from the install disks
From the, restart to install, found on the mounted disk. Or are you holding down the option button at start up.
I would just insert the disk. Then restart your power book and hold down the option button. This should give you the option to boot from the install disk or your HD.
Are you sure these are retail, their not the grey system disks, are they.
If their badly scratched or dirty this could be a problem.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Hi, it appears as though the minumum OS for your PowerBook is actually 10.2.1

Your retail disks are likely to be version 10.2.0 of which may be the issue. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear but I'd definitely upgrade to at least Tiger.

Michael S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
If I were you, I wouldn't waste time trying to get Jaguar (10.2) to work but try to get hold of Panther (10.3), or even better Tiger (10.4).

Thanks for your reply, I bought the jaguar discs because I thought they would be the only discs that would boot the machine, would a tiger disc boot the G4?

How are you trying to boot from the install disks
From the, restart to install, found on the mounted disk. Or are you holding down the option button at start up.
I would just insert the disk. Then restart your power book and hold down the option button. This should give you the option to boot from the install disk or your HD.
Are you sure these are retail, their not the grey system disks, are they.
If their badly scratched or dirty this could be a problem.

thanks for your help, I've tried holding down option but the discs don't come up, i've held down C, thats not working either. No options appear when holding down option because there's no OS on the G4. They are definitely the retail discs and they are in very good condition. I can't understand it

Hi, it appears as though the minumum OS for your PowerBook is actually 10.2.1

Your retail disks are likely to be version 10.2.0 of which may be the issue. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear but I'd definitely upgrade to at least Tiger.

thanks for your reply, the retail discs are 10.2 which means your probably right (bummer!) do you think it would boot from a panther disc?

i also would recommend tiger as the os of your choice.

thanks mate, I didn't think tiger would be able to boot an old G4. I have a macbook running tiger. could I use the macbook to help me do you think? (despite it being Intel, prehaps doing something through firewire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.