G4 Keeps rebooting, help loading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nine9si, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Nine9si macrumors member

Hi guys,
    As of yesterday my battery no longer holds a charge. Was running fine on the power cord. Now this morning when I boot up the computer. It goes on the apple loading screen, gives me the apple sound but instead of loading into the desktop. It goes back to the gray screen with the apple in the middle loading. It does this repeatedly and won't load onto the desktop.

Need some advise on what I need to do ....
    I'm also not sure if I have any of the original boot disks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm running a g4 with 10.5 no problems until today.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Buy a new battery. They're not cheap (~$100), but my iBook G3 gets about 5-6 hours from a brand new battery, which is really nice and totally worth the price tag.

If you normally use the computer connected to the power cord, try running it without the battery installed.

3. Nine9si thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,

I don't think the problem is the power source. There has to be something causing the computer not to boot to the desktop. Just when it seems it's about to load to the desktop, it returns to the gray apple screen. And it keeps doing it until I hold down the power bottom to completely shut down.

Anyone have any idea, or if I can press some sort of keys to allow me to boot into safe mode or something.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. Nine9si thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, once the battery is removed. It won't power it all. Wouldn't it be able to run on the power alone without the battery?

6. msevild macrumors regular

Start up the machine in Safe mode(hold down shift key). See if it starts up okay or still goes through this loop. As a note safe boot will take longer to start up so be patient(it checks your hard disk so the larger the hard drive the longer it will take). I'd say 30 minutes would be the point where it should have booted in safe mode. If safe mode does not work, I would recommend finding the original install discs and doing an archive and install from them. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions.

7. msevild macrumors regular

Yes your power adapter should be more than sufficient to power the computer without the battery in

8. Nine9si thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll try booting in safe mode and see if that works. Yeah it was wierd that without the battery in and still connected to the power, it wouldn't turn on the computer.

I'll give it a shot and will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks.

9. Nine9si thread starter macrumors member

I tried safe booting, but it just stays for hours on the gray apple screen without the loading circle. It's a 120 gig drive.

I also had an old battery. Switched it and that battery won't even turn on the computer. Switched it back to the regular battey and it boots to the same loop, no desktop. So I'm thinking it might need a new battery. It also won't power up at all without the battery even though it's connected to the power. Is this common?

Another question. The battery seemed to be almost new I have the original box and manual. Says it has one year warranty. No receipt. Do you guys know if apple keeps track of it through the serial to check if it is under warranty because I don't have receipt. It was given to me this way.

Thanks in advance.

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't think you'll need a receipt to make good on your warranty. Apple doesn't cover normal loss of battery life, but the battery may have failed. That it doesn't work with only the power adapter indicates that your problem may lie elsewhere, though. I suggest taking it in to the shop and having them figure out what's going on.