G4 Logic Board Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logicboard, Apr 16, 2009.

1. logicboard macrumors newbie

:confused:

I was unable to power up my 3½ year old powerbook G4. I dropped it off for service and was told the logic board is dying and needs to be replaced for AUD 1,500.00. Is this a common problem and what are the causes? Is replacement the only option or can they be repaired? We had a power surge immediately preceding the problem which blew out our wireless modem, washing machine and electric gate. Is it possible a power surge would cause the logic board to fail or is our problem likely purely coincidental?

2. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

at that price you might as well get a new mac. 3.5 years isn't a bad run, and you can still use the internal hard drive as an external!

Did you have your powerbook plugged into a surge protector when the surge happened? I'm not sure but it seems like that could be a likely cause.
    I had always heard of things frying from surges but never thought it would happen to me and then my Wii died during a thunderstorm. Luckily Nintendo is awesome and replaced it for free. Point of the story is it definitely couldn't have been good...

3. MTI macrumors 65816

Without knowing more about the diagnosis of "Logic Board" failure, it's hard to provide any direct response.

If indeed the fault was caused by the power surge in your house, there are several steps along the way, in the electrical chain to consider.

First, is the PB's power adapter functioning? Second, there is a separate AC board inside, separate and distinct (cheaper too) from the Logic Board, which may have taken the "hit" from the voltage surge, sparing the Logic Board.

Then again, never overlook the power of coincidence . . . it may just have been the PB's time.

4. logicboard thread starter macrumors newbie

G4 Logic Board Failure

Thanks to all for their replies. Very useful. There proved to be no fix so I decided to upgrade to a Mac Pro Book 17". Unfortunately, I removed it from its box, powered it up and the screen flickered non-stop. After hours with the Apple care folks it proved to be defective. I have since sent it back and have decided to move onto a different brand. Thanks again for your replies.