G4 Mac Mini as PVR

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ViViDboarder, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Anyone have any experience with a G4 Mac Mini running EyeTV250 as a PVR?

I have an EyeTV and I have a Macbook Pro, and I'd love to have something stay home as a TV and media server. It'd either be a Mac Mini if I can get it cheap or a hackintosh. The only ones I can find cheep are G4's on ebay.

2. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I used a G4 MacMini with an EyeTV 200. The key to both of these is they do the hardware encoding which will make all of the difference. You won't have a problem with the 250 as long as you don't plan on doing HDTV. The G4 won't be able to decode the HD records (which is why I upgraded to the Intel Mini).

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If you wait until Sept., and Apple updates the Mini (**ducks**), then you should be able to find some deals on a Mini with 1.5 Core Solo or 1.6 Core Duo. Those will be a lot better for PVR.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I started trying to find a "cheap" mini - i ended up just getting the refurbed cheap mini for $499 last week. They sell out FAST though, so you need to watch the store.

I can tell a difference between it and my 2.33ghz MPB in the editing area - but its working well so far.

I was having a problem spending $299-399 for a G4 of any variety... this way i can put it to use for the kids when i'm done with my PVR needs next spring. We are short a computer anyway - so it worked better all around.

5. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, I guess I can wait. I looked and even second hand mini's are going for almost 500... Seems a little pricy. Hopefully the intels go down. I'd make my own hackintosh if I could make one as small and good looking as the mini... but I can't. :)

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I was shopping at Mac of All Trades, and Low End Mac has great info on the pricing to shoot for (and links to some deals!).

I went all over for a week pondering this - i had a drop dead date of this pass weekend, i finally decided i didn't have time to deal with any issues on the used one. I needed something that i knew would hit the door running and work.

So, it showed up here Saturday and is working :D

Good luck - i can relate to the struggle.... it was reassuring that the value was so high, if i have to sell it i won't loose as much as if i was buying a $499 "pc"!

7. iGrant macrumors 6502a

I just tried my eyetv 3 with my eyetv 200 on my G4 Mac Mini and it works great, and it uses alot less power than my Power Mac Dual G5!!! I need to get an external hard drive, but Walmart has a 750gb for 139 that I think I am going to get . . . . so yeah!

-iGrant

8. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

So you went with a NEW Mac Mini right?

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

A refurb from the Apple Store. $499 for the base model. :D

I even got an extra copy of Leopard in the box! LOL!!

10. iGrant macrumors 6502a

I would say get a used G4 Mac Mini off of Craigslist for 150 ~ 250 bucks and run with it unless you are going to be doing HD content, then you are really going to need the Intel Mac Mini.

-iGrant

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

[
    I want to know where everyone finds these good buys! The Mac's on CL that i found weren't that great of a deal (and more than i had to spend). But sure if you can find a good deal, then i agree, go for it.

I know i had a unique circumstance - i can't afford to have any down time. I'm hoping that going refurb will help with that. A weeks worth of missed classes will cost me $583 to replace on DVD... gee, that is depressing, but i'll put i to the husband that way. Look, we spend $499 - we are saving $583 a week! LOL!!