G4 Mac Mini w/ 1GB RAM - Leopard worth it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chriskzoo, Oct 27, 2007.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I have one of the latter G4 Mac Minis (probably from about a year before the switch to Intel - 1.87 gHz I think) and was wondering if anyone has any idea how Leopard runs on these machines? I'm sure they are probably optimized for the Intel chips, and I wouldn't want to waste the $120 if I know my computer is just going to become a dog.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I've heard good things about 10.5 on G4s. Even with less than 1GB RAM. I think that you'll be fine.

3. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I've been paying attention to what people have been saying about Leopard on G4's to see if I should ever upgrade and I've seen nothing but "runs better than Tiger" or "pretty much runs the same," though more of the former.

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Well I was playing on the new Mac Minis the other day running 10.5 and it seemed sluggish with 1GB Ram.. but its rather smooth on our Powerbook.. I say max your Ram and get it. Leopard is pretty good with Ram usage anyway so it as they say, your mileage will vary.

5. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I installed it on my Mini (1.25Ghz 1GB Ram), I was surprised how well it ran, especially Spaces which I thought would be slow at best. Front Row works nicely, which is most of what I'll be using it for, it's basically become an AppleTV. Overall it seems the same speed as Tiger or a bit quicker.

6. ihabime macrumors 6502

old emac

It runs quite nicely on my 1ghz, 768mb, 32 mb radeon 7500 eMac, at least as fast as Tiger. Maybe they fine tuned it for G4s as a kind of going away present :)