G4 Mac Mini w/ 1GB RAM - Leopard worth it?

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
I have one of the latter G4 Mac Minis (probably from about a year before the switch to Intel - 1.87 gHz I think) and was wondering if anyone has any idea how Leopard runs on these machines? I'm sure they are probably optimized for the Intel chips, and I wouldn't want to waste the $120 if I know my computer is just going to become a dog.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I've been paying attention to what people have been saying about Leopard on G4's to see if I should ever upgrade and I've seen nothing but "runs better than Tiger" or "pretty much runs the same," though more of the former.

Comment

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Well I was playing on the new Mac Minis the other day running 10.5 and it seemed sluggish with 1GB Ram.. but its rather smooth on our Powerbook.. I say max your Ram and get it. Leopard is pretty good with Ram usage anyway so it as they say, your mileage will vary.

Comment

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I installed it on my Mini (1.25Ghz 1GB Ram), I was surprised how well it ran, especially Spaces which I thought would be slow at best. Front Row works nicely, which is most of what I'll be using it for, it's basically become an AppleTV. Overall it seems the same speed as Tiger or a bit quicker.

Comment

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
old emac

It runs quite nicely on my 1ghz, 768mb, 32 mb radeon 7500 eMac, at least as fast as Tiger. Maybe they fine tuned it for G4s as a kind of going away present :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.