G4 mac pro/airport extreme connection issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rjwbaker, Jul 28, 2014.

1. rjwbaker macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have been an avid follower of mac rumors for over 10 years but never posted anything until today.

I was given an old Mac Pro with an airport card installed. I have a new generation AirPort Extreme router.

I cannot get the g4 to connect with encryption. Via Ethernet or without encryption works fine.

I have tried changing the router to wpa/wpa2 mode and on the computer going to "other" and entering the information but only get errors.

The computer is running 10.4 tiger. The firmware version on the card is 9.52 I think, not sitting in front of it now, but it will not update further via software update anyway.

Other info.
    I actually am running two AirPort Extreme routers one in wireless extend mode.

Please can anyone suggest how I can get the G4 online?
    Unprotected network is not an option, neither is running a cable.
    Would an airport express connected to the wireless network and to the computer via Ethernet work?

Kind regards
    Rob

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Unless you got the Firewire 800 Mirror Drive Doors PowerMac, your G4 has an original Airport card in it, not the Airport Extreme that supported newer WPA2 security. It should still with with WPA Personal though. If you can't get it to work for whatever reason, go back to your Airport configuration screen for the base station and hold down "Option" while clicking on the dropdown menu that lets you select the type of security you want to use. That should give you the choice to use WEP security. Not as strong as WPA, but it is far better than an unsecured network. Old Airport cards have no issues with WEP.

3. rjwbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou, Hrududu,

i will try that and post back how it goes.

Today i found a ppc driver for a d link wireless n, usb adapter i had lying around and it is working and connecting to the network anyway. I dont know if (in real life) it will transmit faster than the old airport wireless card already installed or if it will consume more system resources than the airport card but at least for now the computer is connected to the network.

Thanks again for your help.

4. rjwbaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you mean from within Airport Utility? From within this app i am trying the option key and am not getting the option for wep security.