G4 Mac (tower) cost when new?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by 3soteric, May 4, 2011.

1. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

Hi all,

I've been using the above in one of our family rooms for some time now, but my niece spilt her fruit juice all over the tower last week. A fizz and a pop later, and the machine is now lifeless. I took the HD out and connected it via a caddy to my iMac, but it seems that is shot as well.

Anyhow, the other half has contacted the home insurance (although I'm not really sure its worth the hassle, as I could find another on ebay relatively cheap I'm sure.), and they have asked how much it cost when new. Now its the G4 tower 733Mhz version as stock, in the graphite case - but; I dont keep records of my purchases longer than six years, so can't pinpoint an amount. I know it was terribly expensive at the time, but would be hard pressed to put a specific figure on it.

Anyone know how much these retailed for at launch? I've Googled around, but havn't been able to find anything concrete.

Also, the insurance is new for old so they have asked 'what would be the modern equivalent?' - I'd hesitate to say the Mac Pro tbh....

Thanks

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

If it's a 733, it's either the "Digital Audio", or the "Quicksilver".

Notes at the bottom of those pages should give you the US$.

3. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Thanks - Its the digital audio version :)

I forgot to say that I'm in the UK though - and I presume a direct conversion of the exchange rates from $ to £ at that time wont acurately relect the price?

4. MacTech68, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

No, most likely not.

Luckily, Apple Store UK doesn't appear to have had robots denial.

The Quicksilver price is here.

Unluckily, I can't find the Digital Audio cached on archive.org

But, you might be able to get a rough idea based on the US vs UK prices on the Quicksilver. :confused:

EDIT:
    G4 QS 733 = US$1,699 = UK£1,199
    G4 DA 733 = US$3,499 = UK£2,469 perhaps?

EDIT 2:

Found it:
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/15521/power-mac-g4-733mhz
    "Price when reviewed: (£2936.32 inc VAT)"

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

6. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Usually they are interested in current market value or the current market equivalent anyway.

7. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Thank you all for your replies :)

I know its worth next to nothing today, but the insurance company have asked for the original purchase price as my replacement is new for old. So thanks MacTech68 - that hits the nail right on the head!

In regards to the second question - what would the equivalent product be today?

I really would hesitate to say the Mac Pro, but the iMac doesnt fit the bill either as its an all in one machine - that only leaves me with the Mac Mini?

8. dhro1 macrumors newbie

Demand a Mac Pro

They should give you a new version of whatever you've got. Most UK insurance policies do, and is why they the rates are so exhorbitant. So insist on a Mac Pro. Don't settle for a base one either. Say you want a processor upgrade to 3.2 quad or 3.3 hex ideally. Whatever they replace it with should be the modern equivalent, so don't let them fob you off. At £3000 new you could realistically ask for a dual processor model. Remember you paid your renewals for a reason don't settle for a mini!

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I have old uk mac magazines from that period that should have the original price in, but can't get hold of them until the 13th, if that's not too late I'll give you a scan of an advert.

10. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I'd have to agree firstly that a MacPro IS equivalent. The PowerMac DA 733 was Apple's top-of-the-range "Pro" model of it's day.

You'd be stretching it to "upgrade" the CPU on build to order, though "if you don't ask, you don't get" so you could try. If they'll only give you the basic top of the range MacPro, you could always opt to add your own $... er £... and get what upgrades you'd like. Heck, even if they only give you a base model "Quad-core" (£2,041) or an "8-core" (£2,859), I'm sure you'll still be pleased (I know I would).

Perhaps the "8-core" is fairer as it's pretty close to the price of your original G4 733 DA. Ultimately, it's up to you and your insurer, and how far you think you can push them. :eek:

New-for-old policies in my experience always mean getting brand new even if it's miles ahead in features/function.

Go for it. I wish you the best of luck! Sincerely! :)

11. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Here's an idea.. once they give you the money to buy a new one maybe don't let kids with juice around it. Just a thought..

12. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

Thanks Mactech - I need to call them this afternoon anyhow, so hopefully they will be able to offer me a Mac Pro which would be very nice :)

Zen.state - although it was my neice's juice, it was my other halfs fault as she was holding her at the time; although they won't give me the money anyhow - but will just arrange a replacement.

13. 3soteric thread starter macrumors member

3soteric

14. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

WOW! :eek: Congratulations! Certainly makes the years paying the premiums worth while!

Now, if only my niece would spill juice on my G4 DA 733! :D

15. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Congrats, that's a nice insurance company, keep them!

16. Tiggs macrumors 6502

17. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Recommended configuration:

Grand Niece 2.0

:D