g4 Mac - worth it for 75, if so, uses?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kellen, May 22, 2007.

1. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Hello all,

I have a line on a couple of g4 400mhz macs. Was wondering what they would be useful for? Do they even run tiger well? Not sure about the graphics (yikes or agp), but would either be better then my macbooks integrated graphics on games (like wow).

They are only 75, so that is why I am thinking about picking one up, just need a reason beside to collect dust.

File servers - aren't they limited to something like 128 gigs?

Here is the description:

4 G4 Mac Computers, 400 mhz. 320 MB RAM and hard drives ranging from 4-10 GB in size. OS 9 installed. (Installation discs are not included) I also have a G4 350 mhz Mac w 10 GB hard drive for sale for $60. Sale will include power cord & keyboard/mouse combo.

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

They seem like all Yikes! G4s to me if the HDs range up to 10. Sawtooths were 15 or 20 and over if I remember correctly.

If so, the graphics a PCI card deliver will not surpass your macbooks GMA 950 iin many regards other than maybe memory.

If your looking for a file server, these units have their HD capacities limited to 128GB, but a PCI ATA card can be bought that both increases the capacity limit and supplies more ports for more HDs. By default the max on a G4 tower (w/o Zip) is 3.

hope all this info helps!

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

As oposed to one of these?

But seriously- neither of those will outperform your MB, be it for games or whatever. If you're interested in running one as a server, then that could be a good use for it. You might want to add a SATA card, beef up the RAM a bit, and install Tiger. It will install just fine. Then you can start adding hard drives.

4. cube macrumors G5

With the Intech Hi-Cap driver you can use drives bigger than 128 GiB (split so that no partiton straddles this border if for some reason it is booted w/o the special software).
    If you buy a hard disk from macsales.com you can get an OEM version of the whole Speedtools Utilities, which includes this driver, for $15 (but you'll get only any major bugfixes in this case).

5. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Doesn't seem like a bad deal for $75. I found the G3 Power Mac in my sig on Craigslist and he was asking $50 for that, but I coughed up my 1g Nano for it. That was a matter of about 5 days ago. Tiger runs relatively smooth on my low spec'd Power Mac, I can't see you having a problem on a G4. It would be a good machine for a file server. It isn't a bad machine to have around for word processing, e-mail, internet, chat, iTunes. That's why I picked up my G3, so that everybody else in the house wasn't jumping on my iBook to enjoy OS X lol. You're not going to want to game on it though, after all, it is only a 400mhz G4. For $75, you'll find something to use it for. :D

6. MacGuffin macrumors regular

Uses, you ask?

Friend, this machine will balance your checkbook, store recipes AND play games like checkers and tic-tac-toe with you! And unlike a human servant, it will NEVER tire.

Just be careful you don't program it to get TOO smart. We don't want it taking over the world, do we?

7. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I'm not sure if that was a sales pitch or a crazed prophet from the 1950s predicting computer advances.

either way, I was slightly amused.