Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGuy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
Braunschweig, Germany
Okay so I was installing a Sytem Update and I had to reboot. I got a black screen with white text telling me a bunch of stuff that makes no sense to me.
I'm assuming this is the result of a kernal panic? No idea.

Anyways, it essentially gives me three options:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw/
/sh /etc/rc

I tried all three individually and together and all that good stuff.

I don't even care if I have to do a full system restore, I have everything backed up. I tried booting up to the Install CD while holding 'C' but it goes to the black screen.

In 3 years of Mac this is the first time I've ever had this big of a problem. :( Please help! Thanks!

~Brad

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
I am going to post this again, since there was a double thread:
Did you interrupt the software update? Boot into single-user mode and do FSCK.

MacGuy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
Braunschweig, Germany
I am going to post this again, since there was a double thread:
Did you interrupt the software update? Boot into single-user mode and do FSCK.

Sorry about the double thread, I'll try to follow along if it's still going on. I didn't neccessarily 'interrupt' the update, but i had to reboot for another application that I was installing and I did the software update at the same time.

I'll run upstairs and try the fsck one again.

EDIT: one huge detail I left out. When I do the last one, the sh/ etc/rc , it gets be to the blue screen and i can move my bluetooth mouse, but nothing ever loads.

EDIT #2: After trying the /sbin/fsck -fy it runs some stuff and says 'The volume Brad's HD appears to be OK.' But then that's it... still stuck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.