G4 MDD 9600 VGA woes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Rafalski24, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

Plugged dvi to 23" monitor and it worked fine. Plugged a dvi to VGA adapter with VGA going to the same monitor and it only allows 640x480 resolution. Tried different cables and adapters. Any advice? Thanks!

2. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

3. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that was my second thought. So I tried that a few times. No luck :( Any other ideas?

4. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

Have you tried another monitor?

5. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, just tried another monitor. Is it possible this is a limitation of the hardware? I find it hard to believe a graphics card of this age can't use VGA past 640x480 but can do 1920x1200 via DVI...

6. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

7. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

It's an ATI Radeon 9600. It has two DVI ports on it.

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dont look for your graphics card look for your monitor , they not all work with computers like they should , i have here a lcd tv which only connects via hdmi to my mac mini g4 with ati radeon 9200 when i connect it via vga no picture at all will come up only the lcd says out of range
    the fun side i have two of these tv's exactly identical and the other works via vga too without trouble

but i have a dell zino too and then it gets even funnier while the Mac's show 1280x800 via hdmi despite the little problem with vga out of range on one

the zino only wants to display 640x480 or something like that even via hdmi on these tv's , on my main tv its fine there both the zino and the mini shows full 1920x1080. via hdmi

i also had a HP monitor which would not show any kind of image via vga when connected to the mini but perfect via dvi and the zino hmm there it was on the same monitor the opposite way round vga fine but dvi out of range

so the culprit might be your monitor and not your g5

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

A couple of things to try:

- reset PRAM

- reset CUDA button on logic board.

I have a g4/1.25MDD with a Dell 19" monitor, connected through VGA. Works fine @1280x1024 (maximum & native resolution of this display).

10. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet, yeah I will reset the pram. Thanks for the advice!
    What is a CUDA button?

11. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i too thought first my mini is rubbish and broken and i was resetting , reinstalling for a whole week trying to get the hp monitor to work on vga , as i first had no dvi cable , but it isnt its these lcd makers who out of their mind put some connectors on their monitors/tv's but forget to programm their devices proper , yes there are little chips inside every monitor nowadays which tell your Mac for example what display is connected when pressing detect display and for the menu to work , so i sold that hp monitor again and bought a acer monitor

another thing i found on that way i bought one of these fancy gold plated dvi cables , it looks the same as the standard one that came with the acer monitor
    but has golden connectors (bit of spray paint i suppose ) and i did want a white cable
    but when i connect the mini with this cable (looks really exactly the same same pins as the one that came with the monitor i checked several times over and over again if there might be a pin missing ( at the end i even opened up the cable to see if all pins are proper soldered on , they had been soldered on proper)but
    my mini is unable to detect the monitor with this cable when you press detect display , it does however display a picture fine and some resolutions but not the original resolution of the monitor ,it displays 1280x 768 but monitor standard is 1280x800 (at least that whats written on the box and manual) with the original cable it displays 1280x800

so check the cable too ;)

because i doubt as much that its your g4 graphics as i trust a politicians word

12. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Install SwitchResX and change the resolution as needed maybe?
    You can deinstall switchresx after you set the correct resolution, this way it won't bug you about the 15 day trail, and it works beyond that.

13. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

I couldn't get SwithresX working. It still didn't give me the option of anything other then 640x480. And when I put in the correct resolution it wouldn't apply. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I will try again when I get home from my office.