G4 MDD - ATA/100 & ATA/66 use question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bitethe, Mar 24, 2010.

1. bitethe macrumors newbie

Looking over the spec sheet:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_1.0_dp_mdd.html

It appears that I should be able to have 2 HDD hooked up via the ATA/100 cable in the back "drive carriage" and then 2 more HDD hooked up via the ATA/66 cable in the front under the optical drive.

Would this slow down data transfer? ie. everything would run at ATA/66 speed.

Additionally - if I have 2 drives in the back ... "a" is where Tiger is installed & "b" is for storage ... and then I hooked up a 3rd drive (with it's own installation of Tiger on it) to that ATA/66 connection - will this create a "boot-up" conflict? Will I be able to retrieve files off this 3rd HDD?

I ask because I believe my original HDD (the 3rd hdd) may be shot, so I wiped a new HDD and installed Tiger on that ... now I want to see if I can get old files off the HDD that I think is shot.

Thanks

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

There will be no conflict. Your MDD will boot from HDD connected to ATA100 first.
    You can also choose boot volume by holding alt (option) while mac will start.