G4 MDD fans revving at boot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by natebookpro, Apr 25, 2009.

1. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, I just picked up a G4 MDD off ebay. Everything seems to be working fine, and it passed tech tools tests for whatever that is worth. The only thing I noticed is that for about 2 or 3 seconds during boot the fans seem to rev up pretty high, then settle back to normal. Does anyone else with this computer have this issue or has anyone heard of it? Thanks!

2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

My Dual 1Ghz does the same thing. I think what is happening during the first few seconds of boot the sensor do not report a temp, which causes the fan to default to full speed. After a few seconds the fan controllers get a reading and adjust speed accordingly.

3. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I had one from new (that I got, almost 7 years ago), and it seemed noisy, about 6 months later somebody mentioned how noisy they were, and Apple were aware of this, so they offered all customers to bring them in to be refitted with something quieter.
    I tried to take advantage of this offer, but I was a month too late!
    I must say, since I upgraded recently, Mrs Keniff is a very happy women, now we've lost the sound of a hairdryer coming out of my machine! ;)

4. natebookpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I had read some other posts like that, but just wanted some reassurance.