G4 MDD Hard Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KernelPanic, May 3, 2007.

1. KernelPanic macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I purchased a Seagate ATA100 Hard Drive to replace the failing one in my G4 1.25 (MDD 2003). This system has a new X800 Video Card.

Installed the Hard Drive, then Tiger, all went well. It seems to start up fine, chimes, then apple, then spinning sprocket... then it freezes.

I suspect it's a jumper thing but I'm to stupid to figure out where it should go. I tried far left, far right, reinstalled the OS, tried again, each time no luck. Once I managed to get the start-up music for a new OS but the monitor was frozen with the stopped sprocket. o_O

The Hard Drive shipped with one jumper looking thing on the default pins. Now I am a bit frustrated and hope you smart folks can help me out. Maybe the problem is not the jumper at all, but the CD that shipped with the hard Drive is useless for providing information.

Any help for this will be most greatly appreciated, Thanks!

KP

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

What media are you using the install OS X? Is it the restore CDs? Tiger DVD? Start out easy. This will only take a few minutes to do. Try installing Mac OS 9 on it and boot to OS 9 just to see if that works. I believe that Mac will still boot to OS 9 without classic mode. If it works, then reformat the HD and install OS X back on it. I know it sounds dumb and strange but its worked for me a time or two.

I also remember having to use the restore CD's than came with the Mac on a person's iMac one time. It did the same exact thing you said. OS X installed fine, rebooted and then it would sit there and not boot all the way up. I ran the restore CDs and it booted fine. Put in the Tiger DVD that they had, reformatted again and installed Tiger and then everything worked fine.

Sometimes I've also seen a back stick of RAM cause a bad installation of OS X. It will install and look like it installed fine, but then if you take a stick of RAM out and try it all of a sudden it goes all the way through.

Attached is the jumper settings for a Seagate HD.

Attached Files:

3. KernelPanic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mklos,

I am using the Tiger DVD to install the OS after first erasing and formatting the drive.

I see from the jumper settings that I should have one installed far left. So should I remove the one that came with it from the factory? It's in the cable select slot.

KP

4. Angrist macrumors 6502

5. KernelPanic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Angrist,

This is the only hard drive on the computer.

I'll try putting the jumper where you advise first thing tonight when I get home. I wonder why Seagate puts a jumper in that slot straight from the factory when not every application requires it....

Anyway, thanks loads for taking the time to help me out.

KP

6. KernelPanic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, removed the jumper from the factory, installed one in the Master. Same thing.

o_O

Anything else I could try?