G4 MDD: Leopard Nap Enabler "Noises"??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Camacorn, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Camacorn macrumors member

Camacorn

Hi, just wanted to see if anyone has the same symptoms I do when using Nap Enabler on a PowerMac G4 MDD running 10.5.8 Leopard.

When I enable Nap Mode in System Preferences, the system makes weird sounds depending on what I do on the desktop. For example, with Nap Mode enabled, if I open a folder on my dock, as grid view is opening, I can hear coil whine coming from the CPU card area of the logic board. This does NOT happen with Nap Mode disabled.

These same noises, sometimes different in pitch, happen depending on the level of stress they put on the CPU. But only when Nap Mode is enabled.

I like having it enabled, because it runs around 32c enabled vs. 46c when disabled. This is with an added 60mm intake fan at the front, and new thermal compound.

2. G4fanboy macrumors regular

When I activate the Nap on Panther the main fan is louder in my MDD.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

4. XaPHER macrumors regular

XaPHER

Every 7455 will go from ~15W (above when frequency is higher than 1.25Ghz) typical to ~7W when napping. This way a dual config reduces the load on the PSU by 15-16W. The screaming Delta fan in MDD machines will obviously get current fluctuations when under load/idle, thus the pitch varies.

The stock case fan is undealable with in my opinion.

5. Camacorn, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018

Camacorn thread starter macrumors member

Camacorn

The 120mm CPU fan is a Papst, it is fairly quiet, however the two 60mm PSU fans are screamers, and will be dealt with eventually. I use this everyday, and it is very annoying. It isn't even the turbulence that bothers me, it is the frequency of sound the fans put out.

It idles at 32C/89F, so the amount of noise it makes is a bit over the top in my opinion. The ironic thing is, bringing the temperatures down does NOTHING to quiet down the system, as the PSU fans in the MDDs run at 100% speed all the time.