G4 MDD logic board went bad, timefor a new mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cave12man, Apr 7, 2011.

1. cave12man macrumors member

Have a G4 MDD and the logic board went bad. The place I took it too quoted me at about $450 to replace it. I'd do it myself but I'm not 100% sure I could handle the swap.

So now I'm looking at dumping close to $500 into a decade old computer. Anyone think it's worth it? Or should I cut my losses and get a new one. Looking at one of the 27" refurbished Core i5 iMacs on the apple site.

One of the biggest issues with getting a new Mac would be to get all my data and programs (Creative Suite, Word, etc.) off the G4 and onto the iMac. Hard process? I've done it for harddrive to harddrive but not from old to new. Any help would be great as I'm reallystuck with this. Doesn't make it any better that I'm currently looking for another job and my resume and portfolio (done in Illustrator) are all on the old harddrive.

Thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely not worth dropping $500 on. In a pinch, you could buy a new G4 on eBay for maybe $100-150, but I'd look into a new Mac. You should be able to easily transfer data you need through a FireWire cable, although applications may not work as well, since PPC and Intel use different versions.

3. goMac macrumors 603

I'd say it was time for a new Mac even before your logic board went. :p

Regarding application compatibility, I've been using Macs for a long time, never had any problem running my old apps on an Intel Mac. However, Lion may cut compatibility completely.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Which one of MDDs it is? Matching, working logic board could be obtained for $20-50 on eBay, depending on model. Just type "MDD logic board" and you'll see plenty of them. $450? What a rip off :eek: You could replace it yourself in 15 mins. Only needed tool is Philips screwdriver.

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I agree 100%. $450 is WAY too much! You could buy a whole other MDD or even 2 for that and would then have a spare for every single part.

6. goMac macrumors 603

But long a lifespan will the new logic board have?

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Maybe we've all been missing a trick here... $450 :eek: - I bought a Dual 867 MDD in near-perfect condition for 100 quid (About $150) 3 months ago... Id try and get a Core 2 Duo based Intel Mac (Just because it eliminates the whole "Will Lion support this" debate):)

8. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

For your information not everyone will run Lion.. even though I have a 6-core mac pro, I might get it just for kicks.. but Snow Leopard does everything I throw at it. Lion is difference because of fancy reworking of the colors and GUI interface. For basics, SL can do the job.

9. goMac macrumors 603

Lion has extensive re-workings of the innards as well. It should be much faster, and supports better OpenGL.

10. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Well, yes of course.. but I really have no use for it.. but nevertheless I will still get Lion for my mac pro because "I have to". Its one of those things that I gotta have.. Actually, I am running the latest developer version on my mac pro..

But lately, I have been showing more love for my PM G5 Quad.

11. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Longer than enough for OP to find new job ;) And it's very cost-effective fix :p

12. goMac macrumors 603

You don't have use for faster graphics drivers? Do none of your programs draw things on the screen? :)