Resolved G4 MDD using a G5 Radeon 9600

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Feb 14, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

So maybe someone has a idea or tip!

I have the stock 64MB Radeon 9000 in my MDD currently, but I'd like to use a Radeon 9600 128MB I have from my G5 (G5 now has r9650) and no matter what I do (tape pins or go in bareback) pressing the power button makes this thing do nothing.

I've redone the tape several times and checked to make sure it was 3 and 11, yet no luck with power.

2. harrymatic macrumors 6502

I was using a G5 OEM 9600 until recently in my MDD, so it definitely can be done. I initially taped the pins to make sure that the card worked. I later cut the traces on the circuit board which went to those pins on the edge connector. Try re-taping the pins again - if either makes contact with the slot, the computer won't even attempt to start.

I take it you've seen this : http://pistolerapost2.com/viewing/96002g4.html ? There is a whole page of discussion from back in the day about people modifying these cards to work in G4s.

The only strange thing I noticed was I never got any video whilst the Mac was booting, only once it loaded the login screen did I see anything. Once I installed the ATI Utilities preference panel it must have updated the drivers as I was then able to see the gray startup screen (but nothing in Open Firmware - not sure what was happening there...)

3. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

To my surprise I haven't seen that page! I found out my problem. On the heatsink side I was taping the pins, not on the back side (all the pictures I've seen were zoomed up so I couldn't tell it was the back of the card).

I taped the pins on the other side, and the thing roars up now! I do get a boot screen.

Thank you for your help :D