G4 MDD video card question(s)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cave12man, Sep 24, 2008.

1. cave12man macrumors member

Ok first the specs:

Dual 1gz
    512 mb ram pc2700
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti with 128MB DDR SDRAM

The fan on my video card recently started acting up making crazy chirping and grinding noises and i was wondering how to know which fans would replace the one i have. I already took it out, greased it up, and replaced it but i think its just hit the *******. Ive seen a couple replacement fans advertised but am not sure which ones will work with mine.

Also on a side note, how do you know which video cards will work for G4 MDD's? I thought i knew until recently so am not sure. Any help would be great.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd take a look at a hacked Radeon 9600 or a flashed nVidia 6200. eBay is a good place to start. You should be able to find them in passive cooler configurations as well.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Nearly any Mac Compatible AGP card will work. Any fan that is the same size and has the same connector should work. Take the fan off and take it to an Electronics store and find an exact match.

TEG

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

For the fan, I don't know, but for car upgrades the best you can get is the Radeon 9800 Pro.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I thought the 6800 was G5 only. Is it hacked to work in the G4s or does the G5 6800 work in G4s without modification?

7. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

You are correct that the 6800 was only for the G5 (officially). But a number of modders worked out how to flash the PC version of the 6800 with a Mac compatible ROM. All of the NVIDIA 6000/7000 series cards sold on ebay that are G4 compatible are created this way. Also many of the 9800Pros are flashed PC cards (unless you go to a mac seller like Other World Computing)

To the OP:
    As for a fan, the Zalman VF700 series work with almost any card and a lot of time the Mac versions of cards use the same board design as the PC versions.

After you get your video card sorted out, check on installing more RAM into your PowerMac. 4x512MB sticks won't cost very much and it will really make your Mac perform better.

8. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys, ill check into those cards as well as the Zalman fans for my existing one. How would i measure the fan? Is is diameter or radius?

Been looking at memory for a while but think its time to pull the trigger at OWC, memory there is pretty cheap at $18 a pop.

9. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Most fans are measured by their diameter (in mm) along with the amount of air they move (CFM: cubic feet per minute)