G4 mini, what to offer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NoSmokingBandit, Apr 26, 2010.

1. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

A fellow on Craigslist is selling a G4 mini, which is exactly what i am looking for: something small that can run iLife09 and is *hopefully* cheap.

He listed it as a bundle with other stuff but he said he'll sell me just the mini if i make an offer. What would be a fair price for it?

Specs:
    1.25 GHz G4
    40 Gb HDD
    DVD/CD-RW Combo drive
    1 Gb RAM

Cosmetically it looks fine, though theres not much you can do to a mini to make it look bad.

Also, does anyone know if the G4 minis use Sata drives or IDE? I may consider upgrading the hdd if i do buy it.

2. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Wow according to mac2sell its worth 50$? Little low I would think.

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

G4 Minis use PATA (IDE) laptop drives. They're kind of expensive, hard to find, and not available in as large of capacities. But then again, if you need the storage...

I would suggest an external firewire drive, BTW - larger and faster. :)

4. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

The value of that thing is $60.
    I'd offer $100, maybe 120, and the hard drive is an IDE, 2.5". iFixit has guides for upgrading it.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Since you want iLife 09 you should note that the G4 Mini will not run iMovie nor the GarageBand Learn to Play feature. Also does it include Leopard as that seems to run over $100 from what I have seen?

So that $50 value from Mac2Sell.net sounds right to me. Seeing as after briefly looking on eBay single 1Ghz PowerMacs seem to be having a tough time getting a bid over $50 and dual 1Ghz models with a starting price of $100 are not getting any bids.

6. No ice please macrumors 6502

They should be relativity low. I would at least give him $70-80

Not to hijack the thread but are the G4 minis able to have their dvd drives removed and replaced with another hard drive?

7. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

All i want it for is to record in GarageBand, i wont be using iMovie nor any lessons from GB.
    It does include Leo, btw.

Thanks for the input guys, i'll email him back later today.

8. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

I believe not, but you can upgrade the Combo/SuperDrive up to an 8x SuperDrive, the current fastest laptop drive for Macs available.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The answer is: Nothing. :p

However, you can't get it for nothing, so just offer him $60 and be done with it.