G4 (Mirror Door Drive) USB Mod Possibility?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mr.Nice, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Mr.Nice macrumors newbie

I have the mirrored drive door g4. beneath the drives are four circular port-looking things (which also have a mirrored finish), and i was just wondering if anyone knows if i could turn those into USB ports or something... whether with a kit or by doing it myself.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I've seen people mount small fans in there to get more airflow through the MDD. I can't see why you couldn't mount and fabricate USB or Firewire ports in there.

You could actually get a PCI USB card with internal ports and get USB extensions and hot glue the female ends into those holes and hook them up to the internal parts of the card.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Fans would be the better option, as those holes were originally designed as part of the cooling system. To plug them up with anything else would seriously affect the thermal properties of the case design.....unless you mod other parts of the case to compensate!

Can anyone say "d*r*e*m*e*l*" :p

4. Mr.Nice thread starter macrumors newbie

How would i go about putting those fans in? what kind of fans do i have to get, and where and how would i power them?

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

1. Measure the area (in mm) behind each hole, & order fans that are slightly larger than the holes, so that you have enough surface area to mount them too. Fans are sold by size, as in 10mm (L) X 10mm (W) X 10mm (D).

2. Just about any place that sells puter components will have fans, or just google computer parts or case fans to find them

3. Be sure to get fans with 4-pin MOLEX connectors, since there are several spare ones inside your tower, and multiplier plugs are easy to come by too....