G4 Mirror Door Running 10.4.11 Locks up/Freezes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by msx, May 2, 2010.

1. msx macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a G4 Mirror Door Dual 1.25 Ghz with 2GB ram, and an 80gig IDE hard drive (Western Digital). I bought it used off of ebay recently. It only came with a fresh install of 10.4 so I got the updates from apple to 10.4.11. After installing some applications I noticed that at least once during each session I use the G4 it will lock up or freeze, which almost always leads me to have to just unplug the G4 to shut it down and then I plug it back in and restart it.

My question is this, Is Tiger 10.4.11 buggy/glitchey and is lockup prone, or could this be a hardware issue such as a bad ram module causing this?

Help me MacRumors:Forums, your my only hope.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Bad memory or clogged fans/heatsinks could also be the cause. Try dusting it out and reseating your memory but pulling them all out and putting them back in.

Try running just one stick at a time for a while to see if it still freezes and then swap to the next one. This is an easier way to find out if you have bad memory stick. Rember is a good utility to check memory too.

3. msx thread starter macrumors newbie

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I say RAM is the first thing to try.

My MDD was locking up and corrupting files (yeah, silently! Took a while to figure that one out) and I ran the Apple Hardware test disk...everything came out a-ok, including the RAM.

SO I start by pulling 3 of my 4 RAM sticks and, lo and behold, and machine now works perfectly. Now to figure out which of the 3 RAM sticks (or which RAM slot) is faulty....

Then again, this was 3 months ago and the MDD is still serving media from my basement using only 512MB, so maybe I won't ever get back around to it.