G4 Powerbook-dead. To fix or not to fix?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mel239, Aug 13, 2010.

1. mel239 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a G4 Powerbook that I've had since 2003 (yes I know in computing terms that's ancient-but we were getting along fine...!) 15 inch, 1.25GHz/512/80/SD. Replacement battery about 18mths ago, no other problems.

On Wednesday evening it completely froze and I had to press and hold the power button to turn it off. And that was it, nothing more, no whirring, no noise-It just won't do anything. Have tried resetting the PMU-several times, ac cable and battery are fine.

What I want to know is-What is likely to be the problem? Is there anything else I can do? Is it worth taking it to a shop-or is it just going to be too much money to spend on an old machine?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Impossible to tell via Forum.. could be any number of things from power issues to logic board issues. Does it chime at boot? Does it do absolutely nothing at all? Does it flicker?

But I can tell you one thing for sure.. the money you spend resurrecting it is not likely to be worth it. Cut your losses and move forward. If you're lucky the HD is functional and you can pull it out to get your data off of it.

3. mel239 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi-it does nothing at all-no chime, flicker, nowt..

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I agree with yellow, the amount of money that you would have to spend to fix it would be way more than it is worth. It's probably a dead logic board, and those aren't too cheap, especially being out of production. I would say pick yourself up a 15" MacBook Pro, even a used one would work fine for you.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

+1....

I just replaced mine with the new 15" MacBook Pro and I'm not regretting it :).

6. mel239 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks very much,

That's what I suspected but it is nice to have other opinions-better get choosing a new one I guess!