G4 Powerbook dying...question about latest laptops

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Greenone, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Greenone macrumors 6502

Hello All - geez it's been a while!

Ok so the fan is making a loud rattley sound and the laptop's always overheating (and the battery barely lasts 25 minutes when unplugged which might just be a battery issue but it certainly doesn't help things!) and I assume there's no simple and inexpensive solution. If there is (if there is a way to get the fan replaced?) please tell me how easy/affordable this would be, if you know!

Assuming I need a new laptop: Mine is a little over 3 years old. It was the last of the powerbooks before the new ones that have the built-in camera (can't remember what they're called).

My question is, has there been a second generation (for lack of a better word) regarding this newer laptop that came out not all that long ago? I don't like the idea of getting the first "trial run" laptop. If not, can anyone tell me how they've rated? Have they had many problems? I've been very pleased w/ my G4 up until recently.

Thanks very much!

2. Rewes macrumors member

Are you talking about the MacBook Pro line in general or the new unibody version? There has been quite a few MacBook Pro revisions after the PowerBook. The latest revision updated the body to a so-called unibody style.

I have the exactly same PowerBook as you do and I just ordered a replacement for it, the new unibody MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. I'm also very pleased with my PowerBook still, except that it has started to feel a little bit slow lately. I'm hoping the MacBook Pro to give me the desired boost in speed that I now lack.

3. Alex72 macrumors member

If you meant "has there been a revision to the glass-and-aluminum MacBooks and MacBook Pros released this past October," then, no, there hasn't been, as far as I know; they're still "Revision A."

A.

4. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Depending on your level of experience, it can be done.

You'll need to remove all the screws, the top casing and the keyboard.
    See http://www.ifixit.com/

Take note of where all the different screws go, I have about 20 that I didn't put in when reassembling.

That's assuming the fans bust, get G4FanControl and put em on max to cool things down.