G4 powerbook problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by swordfish5736, Nov 9, 2007.

1. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Well this morning i went to get on my powerbook. For some reason it was off instead of asleep when i turned it on the screen had nothing but i could feel the hard drive spinning. I tried to reset the nvram since this has remedyed a situation like this in the past. Now i just have the fans going full blast and no video.

Any help before i take her into the apple store would be nice. Its still under apple care but has a dent from the week after i got it and knowing the apple store they they will say you damaged the logic board too bad. Even though it happened back in 05

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Disconnect all peripherals, unplug the battery for a few hours and then try resetting the PMU. It probably won't work but on the off chance, it could be worth a try... If it's a bad logic board, then this really just won't help.

3. swordfish5736 thread starter macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

ya that was the first thing i did right before i made this thread. I pulled the battery, didnt have anything hooked up to it in the first place. Just put the battery back in. The fans arent going full speed after i turn it on anymore but it still has no video.

4. swordfish5736 thread starter macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

it lives. Though now i have little to no airport reception

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice... Kinda... What did you do to get it working again?

6. swordfish5736 thread starter macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Just playing around and i got lucky. I pulled the ram so it was just running on the built in 256 tried to start up then let it sit for awhile put the other 256 back in turned it on and it worked.

I played around with the airport antenna by the battery and got it working again too.:D

7. swordfish5736 thread starter macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

happened again the other night. Kernal panic to no video, i took it into work and put it in under service though its stumped us all. We ordered a new bottom for it that im paying out of pocket for and after i replace that it'll be sent off to apple for repairs.