G4 PowerMac just locks up for no reason?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Chris230291, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Chris230291, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

Chris230291 macrumors member

Hello. The title says it all really. I cant understand why because it's not like i can repeat what causes it, it just happens.

Any help is much appreciated. I realise i havent given much info, but i dont know whats needed. So feel free to aks any questions.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Chris230291 thread starter macrumors member

I was just about to report that i have figured it out, but it just froze again. No kernel panics or anything, it just freezes stuck.

This is beyond unusable. Please help.

Edit: im running leopard on the 500MHz model if that makes any difference?

3. beestigbeestje macrumors regular

No, beachballs, just a frozen image (can't move the pointer) ?

I've been having that on my dual G5, but haven't figured out a way to solve it. So far, keeping the desktop as idle as possible seems to help, so I think it must be a cpu issue. Could be software too, cause osx tiger didn't do that on my machine two days ago.

4. Chris230291 thread starter macrumors member

The problem has stopped now. It doesn't lock up randomly but it takes several attempts to boot up successfully. No idea whats going on.

5. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

What about running apple hardware test (AHT), if you don't have the original cds that came with it download a copy on apple's site.
    Links on the faq on my sig.

----------

Run AHT too, but if you have sata hdds change the cables.I had a pc that did that and it was an sata hdd cable.

6. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Have you ever thought that the problem might be Leopard? Mac OS Leopard is not supported on machines below 867MHz. I know there is a way to install it anyway, but its at your own risk. From my personal experience using Leopard, I couldn't imagine it performing that well if your machine is below the minimum requirements (but then again, there are other people who manage to make it work).

Does the machine have problems running Tiger or any other versions of Mac OS? Also, what are you doing when the machine locks up (i.e., is it random, when you open certain programs, etc).

7. Chris230291 thread starter macrumors member

It WAS totally random. But like i said, it doesn't freeze anymore, it just doesnt boot 70% of the time.

It could well be the OS, but i've given up now. Im installing Ubuntu on a PC to replace it, it was only a computer for my workshop after all. I only have it because i wanted the case for my hackintosh. I think i will put all the remaining G4 components on ebay like i planned from the start. PPC is too much of a headache, even as a secondary (or in my case a 4th) machine :/

i hope you find a solution though, it properly did my head in when it would just lock up for no reason. If it means anything to you i fixed that problem (or appeared to) with a 2nd fresh install. Though not knowing if your machine is going to boot is equally as frustrating. No kernel panics, the spinner just stops spinning.

Chris

8. beestigbeestje macrumors regular

Booting with ONE processor instead of two fixes the lockup for me. But now it's a very slow computer..