G4 PowerMac Power Supply

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ChrisA, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

Where to get a new power supply for a G4 Power Mac? Do these older power macs use generic supplies?

Maybe I'll just take the unit apart and try and figure out what's wrong with it. Problem is that it shuts down at random times. My guess is a thermal sensor that is overly sensitive.

2. Trogloxene macrumors regular

Check ebay, sometimes you can get a whole machine for a very low price.

-T

3. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Does the PSU fan work?

Which PowerMac G4 do you own? IE: Digital Audio, QuickSilver, Mirror Door, Gigabit Ethernet, AGP, PCI?

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It might not be your power supply - if the machine gets too hot it will shut itself down. Forcing it to run willl likely fry something.

In order to get a replacement part, you need to know precisely which Mac you have (there are many Power Mac G4 varieties).

Check online resellers like this one - but be prepared to shell out, some of these units are quite expensive to replace.

ATX power supplies will not work, except with the Yikes and Sawtooth G4s (do some research before swapping though)

5. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Search the forums, there is a MR poster that modified a power supply to fit in a G4.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thanks for the link Lord Blackadder. I think I will be keeping my Digital Audio as a piece of art.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think the PowerMac G4 (while a little chubby) is the best looking Mac tower ever made - the graphite ones are very attactive, but the Quicksilver is just downright beautiful. The G5/Mac Pro are clean and purposeful, but not as pretty (maybe because they are massive)...

If my PSU blows I'd be up a creek - ~$180 for a 338 PSU is a lot of money!!!

8. ChrisA thread starter macrumors G4

Yes the fan works. It's a "Digital Audio" with the CPU upgraded to 1.2Ghz.