G4 Powermac processor interchangeable?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by christo930, May 22, 2014.

1. christo930 macrumors newbie

I have a G4 450 AGP, M7232LL/A and I wanted to know if the processor could be replaced with a faster one, possibly a dual processor. G4 processor cards (taken out of macs, not upgrade cards from OWC or something) are dirt cheap on ebay, but I don't know what processor module(s) are compatible with this machine.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Chris

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can use any CPU from another AGP/Sawtooth or Gigabit Ethernet without modification. You can use one from a Digital Audio, but the bus speed mismatch would result in a slower than designed CPU speed and have to be corrected via soldering. You can use a Quicksilver CPU, but you'll have to remove the ATA/33 PATA bus to allow the CPU to fit, provide 12v to one of the screw holes, and correct the bus mismatch. You cannot use a G4 CPU from a MDD or G4 Xserve.

3. christo930 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I have done my research correctly, this would mean a dual G4 500mhz (or 450, I researched your answer a few days ago) without resorting to all kinds of workarounds and soldering?

What is the compatibility with swapping system boards? Are the system boards interchangeable in the case? Like could I find a much faster (high MHZ dual processor system board) that would work in the case?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You are correct. The fastest stock OEM CPU you can use at full speed without soldering is a dual 500Mhz. I believe the logicboards in Sawtooth through Quicksilver models are swappable, but their power supplies are not.

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

You may want to run this check to make sure your system is compatible with a dual cpu. Not all AGP units are.

Click Me

Also make sure you get the heatsink when going with a dual processor.

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

PSU pinouts changed with pretty much every G4 model, so you'd want to swap that too.

Even the fron-panel-PCBs (power,reset,power-LED) do vary a lot, so those may also not be interchangeable.

Best course of action:

Get a full QuickSilver (or even MDD) with good enough CPU as those can be bought next to free today.

If you want to retain the look of your older G4, try replacing the plastic parts of the case with the older ones.

7. christo930 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help.

Chris