Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinnybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Hi!
My G4 PowerMac QuickSilver dual 1ghz was working just fine yesterday. I have it as well as my monitor, printer, etc. plugged into a surge protector. The computer was on (no one was using it) when my 1-1/2 yr old daughter found the plug and removed it from the wall. No one saw her do this, so I do not know if she wiggled it and it sparked or anything. All other items plugged into the surge protector still work fine, and the surge protector says that it is still 'protecting.' The computer though would not turn on. When plugged in, only a fan would come on, and that is before pressing the power button - it would just automatically come on. When pressed, the power button would glow and then fade out, but there was never a chime or any other activity. I opened the case, and there is a red light on the motherboard that would remain lit. I proceeded to try different power cords and outlets, with the same result. About an hour later, I tried again, but this time the fan did not start automatically, and there is no red light that remains lit on the motherboard. The power button acts the same when pressed, but still, no activity.
Any suggestions would be helpful. If you need any further information about the hardware or circumstances, let me know.
Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Open the machine and remove the PRAM battery, and press the "cuda" button (this is a tiny round button on the motherboard, that sits on acomponent about 1.4" square"). Then replace the battery with a new 1/2AA 3.6V Lithium cell (about $10) as a matter oc course (they want to be changed every 3 - 5 years) If you are lucky, it's just a corrupted PRAM and resetting the circuit will make it work. If not you have some more serious diagnosis to do.

vinnybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
I will perform said operation when I get home from work. Would/could just unplugging the power have corrupted the pram? Or did losing power maybe awaken it to the need for a new pram battery? Any idea where to get new battery? Would CompUSA carry it, or a battery store?
Thanks!

vinnybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Does anyone know what the next step in diagnosis would be if the new pram battery and reset does not work?
Thanks!

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
It's probably not this...but just in case:

While you have the case open to follow CanadaRAM's advice, double check to make sure that you haven't got any loose power cables (for the hd bays) stuck in the joints of the case. I had a similar symptom once and found that I had closed the case on some of the wires. Of course, if you (or your daughter) haven't had the case open lately, this probably isn't the problem.

vinnybear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Open the machine and remove the PRAM battery, and press the "cuda" button (this is a tiny round button on the motherboard, that sits on acomponent about 1.4" square"). Then replace the battery with a new 1/2AA 3.6V Lithium cell (about $10) as a matter oc course (they want to be changed every 3 - 5 years) If you are lucky, it's just a corrupted PRAM and resetting the circuit will make it work. If not you have some more serious diagnosis to do.

Thanks so much! I am back up and running for under $10!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.