G4 (Quicksilver) problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by x13gamer, Mar 19, 2008.

1. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

my G4 quicksilver Has been having trouble ever since leopard was installed on it. It kernel panics about every couple of hours, sometimes right after a start up. The computer was swapped out for an older computer running 10.4 and the computer is now sitting. I was able to start it up but It would get to the grey screen with the Black Apple Icon and the spinning Startup icon. It would run there for hours until it eventually kernel panic and freeze. While it was running I was able to access the hard drives over the network. We have changed out the ram in an effort to try and narrow down the possibilities and the old ram that was good and is back in. I now cant get the computer to start at all. When I press the power Button all that happens is the fan will com one for about 2-3 seconds and then turn off. Is it the Logic Board? or the Power supply? How can I check? Is it something else?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Does the power light blink, if so how many times? I had the same issue with mine and it turned out to be the PMU battery.

3. x13gamer thread starter macrumors regular

x13gamer

Which light? the one behind the startup button or the red-light on the logic board? Either Way I don't have any blinking lights

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

The one I was talking about is the power button one. Do you have a volt meter to check the battery? This might be an easy fix if it's just the battery.

5. Angrist macrumors 6502

My Digital Audio powermac did the same thing a while ago. Replacing the PMU battery and zapping the PRAM fixed it.

6. x13gamer thread starter macrumors regular

x13gamer

how do i reset the pram? where can i get a battery?

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Try Here also check radio shack for the battery or any electronic store.

8. x13gamer thread starter macrumors regular

x13gamer

I have put a new battery in, no Luck. I was talking to a friend and he mentioned the power supply could be bad? how can I check that? how Do i know if it is the Logic Board?

9. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Try reading here to see if anything will help. Good luck
    http://www.geocities.com/texas_macman/pram.html

10. x13gamer thread starter macrumors regular

x13gamer

Well i unplugged the computer, pressed the reset switch, waited 10 seconds and then pressed the start up button. and when the button was pressed in it was it when i took my finger off, I could hear the fan slow back down.